Lemon Yogurt Cake with Sage
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
½ Cup Almond Flour
½ Cup Greek Yogurt (full fat is best)
½ Cup Olive Oil
1 Cup Sugar
2 Large Eggs
2 TSP Baking Powder
½ TSP Salt
Zest, from 1 Medium Lemon
1/4 Cup Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
½ Cup Water
10 Sage leaves
1 Cup Confectioner’s Sugar
*Optional: Vyssino (sour cherry) spoon sweets
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Spray a round cake pan with baking spray, set aside*
- Sift together flours, baking powder, salt in a large bowl.
- Soak the sage leaves in the water (at least 10 minutes).
- Whisk together, yogurt, sugar, and eggs, to form a batter.
- Add oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and half of the sage water and whisk again until frothy.
- Slowly fold in the dry ingredients.
- Take the sage leaves and dredge them in a bit of sugar. Place them on the bottom of the cake pan decoratively. Slowly pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes; then turn it out of the pan onto the rack.
- As the cake cools, blend the Confectioner’s Sugar and 2-4 tablespoons of the remaining Sage water to create a glaze.
- Once the cake has cooled a bit, pour the glaze over the top.
This cake is doubly delicious when topped with a spoon of Vyssino (sour cherry) spoon sweets!
TAGS: Baking, Lemon Yogurt Cake with Sage, recipe, Vyssino