Recipe by Giannis Marnas for “Psarakia kai Thalassina”
Shrimp in Saffron & Ouzo Sauce (serves 4)
- 1.7 fl oz/50 ml olive oil
- 2.2 lb/1 kg shrimp (per pound range U/16)
- 1-2 sliced cloves of garlic
- 3.5 oz/100 g chopped fennel
- 2-3 pieces star anise
- 3.5 oz/100 g chopped scallions/green onions
- 10 fl oz/300 ml ouzo
- 3.4 fl oz/100 ml water
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp saffron
- 2.1 oz/60 gr regular unsalted butter
- 2 fl oz/60 ml heavy cream
- Thoroughly wash and clean the shrimp.
- Chop up all your veggies and greens.
- In a large frying pan heat up the olive oil and add the shrimp. Let it cook for a while.
- Add the garlic, the fennel, and the star anise pieces. Sauté a bit more and then add the scallions and drizzle with half the ouzo.
- Cover with water and season with salt and pepper.
- After about 10 minutes remove the shrimp from the pan and place it in a platter—don’t clean the pan!
- Add honey to the remaining sauce in the pan, then the saffron, and the rest of the ouzo. Let it simmer for a minute.
- Add the butter and heavy cream.
- Keep stirring until you have a thick sauce. Pour sauce over the shrimp.