Τυροπιτάκια Σφολιάτας – Mini Phyllo Cheese Bites
Courtesy of Krystina Kalapathakos, chef and author of the cookbook: “Back To My Roots”
Yield: 12 Bites
1 12-cup muffin pan, greased
12 sheets phyllo dough
2 eggs, beaten
2 TB olive oil
1/4 cup scallions diced
1 cup cream cheese
3 TB Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup feta cheese
Pinch of Herbs De Provence
Pinch of dried dill
Sea salt & pepper
- In a large bowl add eggs, olive oil, scallions, cream cheese, Parmesan, feta, and spices. Whisk together and make sure ingredients are combined.
- Turn oven temperature on 400°F.
- Open up 12 phyllo sheets, and lay over a damp towel to prevent from drying.
- Cut large circles out of each phyllo dough sheet. You should be able to get 2 circles out of each sheet.
- Place one circle into the muffin pan and then lightly brush olive oil over the phyllo.
- Repeat with another circle of phyllo over the top.
- Once you have filled the muffin pan with phyllo (2 layers per cup), place a heaping tablespoon of filling into each phyllo cup. You can then fold the excess phyllo over the top of the cheese filling.
- Bake in oven for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
About Krystina: Growing up as a child, Krystina couldn’t help but shadow her parents while they were preparing wonderful Greek delicacies in the kitchen. Her fascination with phyllo dough started at a very young age (by 8 she made her first spanakopita!). After attending pastry school, she completed an externship in Greece as a sous chef on the island of Skiathos. Since graduating from Le Cordon Bleu, she has been working toward making her dream come true of having her own Greek coffee/bakery shop. Her motto? “Sometimes you have to stop thinking so much and just go where your heart takes you.”
The name Kouzounas originated from her Yiayia, Stavroula Kouzouna Kalapothakou from Mani, Greece who was a fantastic home chef. She is proud to share these recipes and more in both her book and on her website: www.kouzounaskitchen.com